Whew! Let us catch our breath, and we’ll catch you up!
Last Friday, Kentucky Home Birth Coalition volunteer Mary Duke was interviewed on Bowling Green’s WBKO Midday Newscast. If you missed it, it’s a must-see!
On Wednesday, several KHBC volunteers, our lobbyists, and constituents went to Frankfort to discuss SB85 with our state Senators. We had several supporters speak to legislators and also attend the Senate Health & Welfare meeting. Check out this footage from 2:21 until 2:47 when Senator Givens gave Mary Lynn Duke, LCCE and SB85 a great shout out!
On Thursday, KHBC steering committee members Aundria and Mary Kathryn were guest speakers at Professor Jamie Abrams‘ legislation class at the University of Louisville Brandeis School of Law. #SB85 was a perfect case study for these eager law students!
And of course, behind the scenes, our Steering Committee members are working tirelessly speaking with various allied health groups, coalition building, meeting with legislators, and educating Kentucky citizens and elected officials on SB85.
It looks very likely that our Senate Health & Welfare hearing date will be February 10 @ 10am. We need to pack the room with supporters. Please make plans to attend if at all possible. WE NEED YOU (and your babies) to come be heard! Carpooling groups are being set across the state. Learn more and stay up-to-date on our Facebook Event Page. Please — make plans to Join us!
We need You!
As we prepare for SB85’s Hearing at the Health & Welfare Committee, it is important that we continue to reach out to all member of the committee to ask for their continued support. Below is a list of all members, and their status. If your senator is a co-sponsor, please thank them and emphasize the importance of their continued support. For all others, please ask them to support SB85. We have resources for visiting or writing to your senator here.
- Sen. Julie Raque Adams [Chair] – Co-sponsor. Thank her and ask for continued support.
- Sen. Ralph Alvarado [Vice Chair] – has met with our lobbyists, ask for his support
- Sen. Tom Buford – Primary Sponsor, thank him and ask for continued support
- Sen. Julian M. Carroll – Senate Leadership – has expressed support, verbal commitment to co-sponsor. Thank him and ask for continued support
- Sen. Danny Carroll – Unknown stance. We have a meeting scheduled on 2/9, only one day before the hearing. Contact and ask for his support.
- Sen. David P. Givens – Senate leadership – has expressed support. Thank him and ask for continued support
- Sen. Denise Harper Angel – Co-sponsor. Thank her and ask for continued support.
- Sen. Jimmy Higdon – Senate leadership – has expressed support. Thank him and ask for continued support
- Sen. Alice Forgy Kerr – Unknown stance. We have a meeting scheduled on 2/9, only one day before the hearing. Contact and ask for her support.
- Sen. Reginald Thomas – Co-sponsor. Thank him and ask for continued support.
- Sen. Max Wise – Unknown stance. We have a meeting scheduled on 2/9, only one day before the hearing. Contact and ask for his support.
Don’t know your Senator? Learn all about that here!
And, of course, we are fundraising.
We are excited and thankful to be working with lobbyists during this 2016 session. We are making amazing progress and we need to ensure that we keep moving forward. That means, raising the funds to stay active in Frankfort. No amount is too small.